Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sale el Sol

After literally a month of rain, the sun came out. I mean actually came out...it was almost hot! Despite the fact that over 6 pasos have been canceled this week, Thursday (thusfar) has granted us with beautiful sunshine. To celebrate the day, I walked out to Plaza de España, which is rapidly become one of my favorite places to sit. The Plaza was packed with tourists from all over the world, vendors selling fans and castanets, and the trusty flamenco guitarist, whose music echoes through the cavernous halls of the building. I settled down on one of the benches in front of the Huelva plaque and pulled out my notebook to catch up on some well-needed journaling.
About forty five minutes after I arrived, a family of four settled down on the bench beside me. I looked up for a moment and realized that the little girl was standing beside me, staring inquisitively at my notebook paper filled with strange English words. She wandered away. I switched from writing to drawing, and started to draw the Torre Sur of the Plaza's grand building. The girl returned and asked what I was doing. I explained I was drawing the tower, but it was a little difficult. Her tow-headed brother came over to check out the action and soon I had a little audience.
"You draw very well," she told me. I was flattered. When I finished, she took off running, jumping off the benches with her brother, whose name I discovered was Nico, because his grandparents kept calling for him to come back.
"She loves to draw," they told me about the little girl. "When she is at home, all she does is draw."
So I asked, "Could you draw me something?"
She smiled and agreed and began to draw the square of azulejos that were on the ground.
The tower is mine and her azulejos are on the right

When she was finished, her brother came over, pointed to the multitude of carriages parading around the Plaza and started to yell "There are a lot of horses! There are lot of horses!"
The girl turned me to me and explained, "My brother is crazy."
"I have a brother too," I said. "He's crazy as well."
I thanked her for the drawing and soon afterward her grandparents told the children that it was time to go. 
But before leaving, the adults gave me a quick lesson about the Plaza. The two towers that are attached to the end of the great U-shaped building are called (appropriately) the North and South tower. These towers were added later and were not included in the original design! It's funny because they have become such a presence in the Sevillan skyline. Additionally, when the Plaza was built, there was going to be much more of a structure, but they ran out of time and had to stop, leaving the building as it is now. And at the very end of the Plaza is a sculpture of the architect, Aníbal González, staring contentedly at a job well done. 
The family said goodbye and walked away, leaving me with a smile on my face. These little moments are what makes this whole experience special; these things you can't plan. 
I walked away from the Plaza, my skin warmed from the sunshine and my heart warmed from the innocent curiosity of child that brightened my day more than the weather. 

Adios,
Shannon 

A bit of a creeper shot, but there they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment